Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Vote! Is Baby Cross a boy or a girl?

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jesus dies every year

So a few years ago while I was finishing my Masters but before I moved back to Texas I ended up taking care of three boys. It was an interesting experience to be a nanny and I really enjoyed it. It's always fun to learn how to parent on someone else's child. One thing I already knew is that children are very observant of what is said and done around them. That made me very picky about what I would play on the radio in the car. Since even country songs occasionally use inappropriate language or topics I just left the local Christian station on. I knew there wouldn't be anything on that channel that I would be embarrassed to have the boys tell their parents they had heard. The youngest boy, age 4, spent the most time in the car with me and probably heard the radio the most.

After I had been with them a few months we were in the car one day when Tucker's voice comes from the back seat. "You always listen to songs about Jesus. Why do you love Jesus so much?" I was a little caught off guard but said I loved Jesus because God loved me. He asked how I knew that. I then tried in very simple, 4-year-old terms to explain that God had sent Jesus to die for our sins because he loved us. I didn't get very far in to my explanation before Tucker interrupted me. "Oh, I know all about that. Every year at Easter Jesus dies and comes back to life." So there you have it from a 4 year old's point of view.

No comments: