Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Vote! Is Baby Cross a boy or a girl?

Monday, August 15, 2011

Food!

It's a little bittersweet but today we had a major milestone.  We started our little monkey on solid food!  We went a slightly non-traditional route (not any surprise if you know me).  We waited until he was almost 6 months old, could sit well on his own, lost his tongue thrust and was showing interest in our foods.  We also skipped the rice cereal and pureed baby foods.  Instead we went straight to soft table foods. 
First up... AVOCADO!


 We put it on the tray of S's Bumbo and let him check it out for a while.  Honestly he wasn't that interested, even when we started eating bites of it.  He put his hands in it but never really brought it up to his mouth.  So we put a few pieces up to his lips to see if we could get him interested but he seemed more focused on watching the dog. 


It may have been bad timing.  I wanted to start today while Mike was home for it and about a week before his next well-baby check.  His pedi was adamant about me starting solids no later than 5 months and doing the traditional rice cereal.  So this way I can honestly tell him at the next appt that we have already started solids so I don't have to get into yet another disagreement with the pedi.  On a separate note, I'm beginning to wonder if we need a different pediatrician who thinks more like I do. But today S had just woken up from a nap and still isn't feeling great because he has a cold.  He actually spit up several times while he was playing with the avocado.  So maybe tomorrow will go better.

Tonight at dinner though mom put some bread in S's mouth to see what he would do and he made this funny face, almost like "ick", and pushed the bread out with his tongue.  =)  Solids are going to be a process.  But I'm fine with that.  I like that S still wants to get all his food from me and I hope it stays that way for a long time still.


No comments: