Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Vote! Is Baby Cross a boy or a girl?

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Marathon prep

So when your husband comes home one day and says he wants to run a marathon in a few months because he's not getting any younger, don't quickly say ok without a thought. I've learned that him running a marathon actually has implication for my life. For the past three months he's been gone for hours on Saturday morning doing his long runs. Now honestly this isn't that big a deal except that I'm home cleaning house and looking at the yard work that he's supposed to get done but doesn't. This only got to be a serious issue recently as the runs were long enough that he got home, sat on the couch, didn't feel like getting up for the rest of the day and would ask me to bring him his dinner, water, etc so that he wouldn't have to move. As a result the rose bushes we purchased on sale in September are still in their pots waiting for their flower bed to be tilled and mulched.
This week I've been cooking special dinners with lots of pasta, printing maps of the marathon to find places that mom and I can go wave at him as he runs by, taking next Monday off work so that I can stay home and help take care of him, and thinking about how early I have to get up on Sunday so that I can go wait in the cold for the hours it take him to run the race.
Now I realize that all of this may sound very selfish since I'm not the one who's been doing the running and not the one who will be pain come Sunday afternoon. The truth is though that it's not selfish, because as irksome as it has been sometimes and as much as I don't like getting up early I'm actually happy that I get to do all this and be supportive of Mike. I'm proud of him for running this marathon. He's wanted to do it for quite a while now. Instead this is more a cautionary tale for you to know that when your husband comes home and says he wants to run a marathon that it will somewhat inconvenience your life and for you to remember you promised to be a loving, supportive wife so give him a kiss and say ok anyway.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Good luck to him this weekend! I am amazed at people who will run a marathon, I just cannot imagine doing it, or even the training for it....give me a 5K walk and I'm set :)