Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Vote! Is Baby Cross a boy or a girl?

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Drunk people and baby shower pics

Drunk people should not be allowed to carry their own drinks. I came to that conclusion after Mike and I went to the Spurs-Mavs playoff game during round 1. That was part of our whirlwind weekend. Thursday night we went to the game. After the game we drove to Houston. Everyone worked on Friday. Damitra and I did baby shower things Friday night. Saturday morning Mike and I went to the wedding of one of his IBM friends. Mike dropped me off back at D & G's house on his way to the reception. Claire, Damitra, and I threw Elizabeth a wonderful baby shower. Then that evening we celebrated Damitra's birthday with some of her residency friends. Sunday Mike and I drove back home to Dallas to clean up for company we had visiting on Monday night.
Back to drunk people though. The couple with seats next to us arrived after the start of the second half and were already drunk. They sat down with a beer in each hand. Not too much later, the girl got up and left. I even mentioned to Mike as she climbed past us that she's already drunk so I hope she's not going for another drink. About 10 minutes later she toddled back up the stairs carrying two more beers. As she tried climbing past us, Mike tried to help her hold the beers since she was really unsteady. For all his efforts though she still ended up pouring beer down the back of my shirt. I tried cleaning up as best I could, but I ended up smelling like beer all the way to Houston. Thus I've decided that drunk people should not be allowed to carry their own drinks. They should have to blow in a little device to determine if they're sober enough to carry their own drink, and if they're not then they can't buy more. My friend Wes noted that drunk people would just send their sober friends to buy their beers and I'm fine with that. At least the sober person will get the beer to his drunk friends without spilling it down the back of my shirt. Now I just have to find someone to get my legislation passed. I'm sure it'll be a high priority in the midst of the economic crisis and the piggie flu. Right?
And just in case you're wondering, yes it did suck that the Spurs were blown out of the water the entire game and the drunk girl spilled her beer, but I got to spend time with my husband and he's happy that his team won, so overall it was a perfect date. Dates with Mike always are.

Here are some pics from the baby shower. More on that later. If you want to see them all then they're here.
The yummy cake.
The food.

The diaper cake I made.
The beautiful Mom-to-be...

2 comments:

Carol said...

drunk people are annoying in general.

how did you make that diaper cake? I'm helping with a shower for my sis-in-law and would love ideas on what you served for food, etc.

Hillery and Mike Cross said...

Here's the link to the recipes for the baby shower food. Southern Living had an issue right as I was planning the menu for a party menu that was mostly do-ahead. We ended up not doing the shrimp dish. And we made the champagne-fruit dish using sparkling cider instead of champagne. If you do that it takes a little longer for the syrup to reduce. We also cut the peel off the cantaloupe for logistics sake (people holding plates in their hands) but then the cantaloupe lost it's shape. So if I were to do again I would cut up the cantaloupe like the honey dew. Other changes including crumbled blue cheese b/c it was pasteurized and the creamy wasn't and just blending it with a little milk to make it creamy. And the chicken salad needed a lot more dressing than the recipe called for. We didn't do the tortellini salad on skewers, just put it all in a bowl. All of it was very easy and yummy. We doubled everything except the chicken salad dish (the Parmesan it calls for won't make enough rounds for all the chicken salad the recipe makes so you'll need more Parmesan). We had the shower at 2 so it was more of tea. We had a lot of leftovers and about 15 people were there. So depending on your size crowd and the time of day you can adjust how much you need. Pretty much anything that could be done ahead in this recipe, we did on Friday night.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879921
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879920
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879924
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879926
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1879922
Honestly, the fruit dish was nice because it was a little fancier, but as fruit salad/mixes go I think I prefer my ambrosia recipe. If I were to do it again I think I would just serve that. Let me know if you want that.
I'll post the diaper cake instructions later this week along with a picture of the diaper cake I made for a girl's shower. It was much more frilly than the one for this shower.