Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Vote! Is Baby Cross a boy or a girl?

Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Ponderings

I'm up way too late because I'm working on the final for what I hope to be my last every actual grad school class. After this I just have to finish the dissertation and go find a real job. So I'm procrastinating on this instead. Today was Mother's Day and it was a really wonderful day. Mike and I talked to both our grandmothers and are grateful that even though they've had some rough months that they're both healthy today. Mike talked to his mom for a long time. I know he cherishes each mother's day since her breast cancer recovery. And my family came over for lunch and a fun afternoon with peach bellini's (fresh from the tree) and the Wii. All of that was special but what struck me the most today actually happened at church this morning.
Two couples we know from church who struggled with infertility adopted in the past few months. One of them was given two beautiful girls and the other a very lively boy. I remember this time last year how painful it was especially for our friend who adopted the boy. She wanted so desperately to be a mother. Even though she knew that God was in control and that God had a plan and a reason, that didn't stop the pain and mother's day was especially hurtful. It has been so joyous to watch their excitement to learn that their baby was finally coming, to bring that baby home, and for all of us to love on them. I was thrilled that they got to celebrate this mother's day with crying babies, dirty diapers, and toys under foot. Our pastor asked the mothers to stand so that we could pray over them and I was so happy to pray for all my friends who were mothers, but especially these. (I would like to add that we have an incredible pastor who never forgets there are women out there who long to be mothers but can't and he is always very sensitive on mother's day. He's the first pastor I've known to remember the women with children and the women who are still waiting for theirs).
It made me think about how quickly life can change. When we're in a place that hurts and seems dark, sometimes it feels like God isn't there, isn't working, or isn't going to answer. But the truth is that he's always there, always working, and always answers. It just sometimes doesn't look like it to us or is maybe easier to see in hindsight. And that's something that I've clung to during difficult times in my life and that I know I'll rely on in future difficult times. I realized this morning that I should be clinging to that truth in good and difficult times - that God is all I need and that He always provides. I wish I did a good job of that but when I'm willing to be honest I can look back to dark moments and see how I completely relied on Him. Then I can look right now during happy times when my heart's desires have been answered and I've been blessed and I notice that I'm not clinging as hard. That bothers me. That same feeling of utmost need for Him should be there when I'm in need and when I'm full of blessings. So I took our time of rejoicing today as a reminder to keep my focus on what life is all about.

1 comment:

O'Brien said...

Thank you for the notes....it has been nice to be back in touch. I can appreciate your writings today. I love leaving my house because I have the best view of the mountains as I leave the neighborhood. The beautiful purple heights always remind me or our blessings. I use that moment to remember all our blessings, positive and negative. We have to always be reminded that we would not know joy without sadness.